Saturday 14 March 2015

Uma Ukpai reveals: “At the age of 10, my cousin taught me how to smoke Indian hemp”

Rev. Uma Ukpai


By Nse Peter

A renowned Nigerian clergy, Rev. Uma Ukpai has let out shocking revelations about his life as a teenager, saying he was ‘already an established criminal’ at the age of nine.

In an exclusive interview with The Punch newspaper, Uma Ukpai who recently celebrated his 70th birthday said he didn’t know he would live this long. “In a way, I am grateful (to God),” he said. “At the age of nine, I was already an established criminal. I would go to school with a snuff box and if they were teaching a lesson I didn’t like, I would blow air into the snuff box and the air would carry the tobacco into the classroom and that would be the end of that lesson. I would sneeze with everybody and I would cough with everybody. I was very stubborn.
“At the age of 10, my cousin taught me how to smoke Indian hemp. Anybody with the kind of profile I had is not expected to live long. If I hadn’t met Christ at the age of 10, I think I would have been dead by now. I am even shocked that God saved me and I am able to live up to now. I did so many unprintable things I cannot even say now because of the shame that goes with them. It never crossed my mind that I would be among those that would live up till now. It is a pleasant surprise. I am thankful and grateful to God. It makes me excited and I am fulfilled that I have lived this long.
“Until I met Christ, I had no dream. If I had one, it was to eat well, play hard and shock my parents and friends with my nuisance values. I took delight in surprising people. When I met Christ (my father had died and then I moved on and joined my uncle in Bori   in Ogoni, Rivers State) a mad man came to our school and pursued everybody. He was a healthy looking man and he made me wonder if the life of a mad man wasn’t better than that of a normal person. He came into the school and he was stark naked. His name was Deco. As people were running away from him in school, God said to me that I could also make him run away. It was a strange voice that I heard. I commanded the mad man to roll out of the school. He fell and he rolled out of the school.”
When asked if his parents didn’t try to discipline him, the respectable evangelist who lives and runs his Uma Ukpai Evangelistic Ministries in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, said he used to put lizard into his father’s cup of water as retaliation each time the father flogged him.
“My father never spanked me when everybody was awake. He would flog me between 2am and 3am. The next day, I would find a good small lizard and put it inside his cup of water and cover the cup. When he opened the cup, the lizard or toad would jump out, it was my way of retaliating for flogging me,” said Rev. Uma Ukpai.
In the interview, the man of God revealed how he lost his children in a road accident.

The PUNCH: Going down memory lane, there was a time you made a tough decision where you had to choose to save your wife and not your kids. In your sober moments, don’t you regret such decision?

UMA UKPAI: Before the accident that claimed the lives of my kids, God had told me there would be a day He would not answer my prayer. This was after a big crusade I conducted in Lagos. God said He would test me. Every man’s faith must be tested. In that discussion, I told God that he could take away everything from me but not my wife. I told Him if he would remove my wife, then the pillar that held the house would collapse. That day, by 5am, an armed robber had broken into my office and removed every equipment we owned. That same day, they removed every printing machine I had. I told my wife that might be the day God had warned me about. Before then, some people had fasted with me and we were asking God to change His mind. God said no school graduates any man without testing the man. We left Uyo with two vehicles. I was driving ahead of the second car. When my driver who was driving the second car got to a very sharp corner, he stepped on his brake suddenly and the car somersaulted and went into the river with the roof of the car. My children were in the vehicle. I dived into the river to save the children and my wife did the same. She knew she couldn’t swim even up till now. She was drowning behind me. She had been thrown up six times and it was remaining one more time. I thought if I saved my wife, my prayer would bring my children back to life. I brought out the children and I took them inside the car to pray for them. But another vehicle from the opposite direction drove into that car and smashed the chest of the engine and the bonnet and the bumper. I remembered that God had said there would be a day he wouldn’t answer my prayer. I resigned and gave up. The good news is that since that time, God has given us back all the things we lost. My wife kept giving birth each year until she got tired of having children. We have replaced our printing press. We lost three cars that day but God has replaced those cars 10 times over. God said for handling that crisis very well, he would bless me with 100 angels that would accompany me anywhere I want to go. I made a choice. I asked God to spare my wife. When a man loses his children, he can weep with his wife. But when a man loses his wife, he weeps alone. He wouldn’t even want the children to see his tears. It made sense to me then to save my wife. It still makes sense to me today even 30 years after.





No comments:

Post a Comment