Wednesday 10 December 2014

Silence still reigns over Akwa Ibom. Even Udom Emmanuel’s supporters can’t celebrate the ‘arrangee’ victory at PDP primary

The night of 'Stolen victory'.... You could see the gloom on the people's faces

By Nse Peter
It has been three days now, since the former Akwa Ibom SSG, Mr. Udom Emmanuel was pronounced ‘winner’ of the PDP governorship primary in Akwa Ibom State on Monday, 8 December, 2014, yet there has been no victory celebration in the State. Not even in Uyo, the state capital.


At night, about five hours after the PDP primary, Think Akwa Ibom! reporters checked out the situation at the Hilltop Mansion, the official residence of Governor Godswill Akpabio. Surprisingly, there was not a single sign of celebration there. At Udom Emmanuel’s house, the situation was similar – except for few vehicles parked outside the building at F-Line, Ewet Housing Estate, Uyo, there was no sign of life within and outside the premises.
That particular night, even the ever busy ‘Maitama’ in Ewet Housing Estate had gone to sleep.

How come, apart from a few noises on the social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, people aren’t celebrating Udom Emmanuel’s ‘victory’?  Could it be that their conscience is at work, telling them that such ‘stolen victories’ don’t stand?
Meanwhile, we saw an interesting piece on Facebook about the controversial PDP governorship primary, and thought you might like to read it too. It is written by Baba Otu from Uruan, Akwa Ibom State. It’s titled ‘Reminiscence!’ We are publishing here unedited.

Scroll down to read it.


Reminiscence!
I remember my first baptism into the murky waters of politics, my first election!

That was in those good old days when ad hoc delegates actually contested election and they were not anointed, appointed but chosen through a genuine electoral process.
That was the NRC Ad Hoc delegates election at Christ the King primary school (C.K.S), Urban Ward 3 Uyo, I remember Hon Justin Ekong was at the venue, I was still in the university, I had no money to buy the form or even lobby the electorates to line behind me, somebody who believed in me actually bought the form for me, emphasis was not on money then, it was more on the programs and popularity of the aspirant!

It was the almighty Option A4, people had to line behind the aspirants and aspirants with the highest votes were chosen as delegates!
I was a very vibrant young man,I was never intimidated by the more experienced politicians, like the late Hon Ime,Uwanna etc that were already established politicians in the ward but deep inside me I was shaking because I did not want to fail,this was my first step and I did not want to get it wrong, an Uruan man contesting election in Uyo and not just any ward in Uyo,Ward 3!

Finally we were call to line up and our supporters to line up behind us, when I turn around and look behind me I was shock because my line was so long, I did not know I was that popular. Lol.
After the counting I emerged as one of the ward delegates, I had no Godfather, my name was not tampered with, I did not have to swear on an oath to win, we went on to elect state delegates and I was not under any pressure of any kind to vote for any particular person, I was given a free hand to choose who I want based on my personal assessments of the aspirants. I bet a lot of this new generation politicians does not even know that Ad Hoc delegates are suppose to be chosen through elections, the believe that anybody can come up with any list of delegates and if your well connected at the national or have enough money to bribe your way through at the national level and your list is announced then it is the right list!! What kind of traditions are we leaving behind for the generation yet unborn? Sometimes I do wonder if this was in another world or country but I know definitely it was in Akwa Ibom, Nigeria!

When and why did we slide into this mess, how did we slide into this 'Militocracy' and deception?
Our thoughts and actions are been manipulated by the 'thieves' in government, our voice, our choice does not really matter anymore, now money talks and even the monk walk!

How long shall we continue to be enslaved by the few who are using our sweat, our money to oppress us, the earlier we wake up from this slumber, the better for all of us. For me I have decided to tow the path of the truth.
May God help us all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment