Tuesday 22 January 2013

“I’ll rather have a horse forcefully ‘take on’ any man found guilty of rape”

      -  Belinda Effah, nollywood actress
 Fast rising nollywood actress, Belinda Effah in an exclusive interview with THINK AKWA IBOM! calls for aggressive fight against sexual assault on women.

By Mfonobong Uwah

People sometimes get confused whether you are from Cross River or Akwa Ibom?
I am a typical Calabar girl. Born and bred in Calabar. I hail from Odukpani local Government in Cross River State. My mother is from Akwa Ibom and I speak both Efik and Ibibio, if not more Ibibio. So, it's very easy for people to think I am from Akwa Ibom. I am a typical Calabar girl to the core.

We’ll like to hear you brag a little about your state of origin – the people, the food, dance, etc?
I am from Cross River State and there are several things I love about my state. Oh well, as we all know about the capital Calabar where I hail from “Come And Live And Be At Rest" is totally true. I love the people from Calabar because they are very hospitable, loving and caring like my humble self. You will agree with me that our delicacies are one of Africa's best, very tasty and rich. I love Ekpang Kukwo, Edikang Ikong, Afang and Coconut Rice. The environs of Cross River is very serene and welcoming, the government and the people ensure that their environments are always kept tidy for healthy living. We have lovely land marks, need I remind you that Calabar has a lot of colonial history attached to it. I promise you something – whenever you visit Calabar you will never want to go back. It's a lovely place to raise a family.

You were the lead-actress in Kokomma, a movie which tells the pitiable story of a sexually harassed 19-year old maid. Was it your role in the movie that prompted your partnering with Project Alert to create awareness against sexual abuse or was it just a coincidence?
I played the lead in Kokomma where I played the character Kokomma, a 19-years old girl who went to the city of Lagos to work as a maid in order to raise money to further her education. On getting to Lagos she was sexually abused by her guardian. After playing the role, I had a strong attachment to the character as it helped me to experience what victims of rape go through. Also I have featured in several productions where I played the victim of rape and I must say it’s not a healthy feeling at all. After Kokomma I had a strong sense to do something to sensitize our young ones, create awareness about domestic rape and its kinds. That's what prompted me to reach out to people to advocate on their behalf and speak against the vice – rape. Luckily for me Project Alert had similar vision and they were willing to partner with me on this project to eradicate sexual violence amongst the youth in our society, case study the Secondary Schools and subsequently the tertiary institutions. Last year we were able to visit three schools. This year we hope to reach out to more schools.


As regard sexual abuse, what words do you have for men who say ‘blame the women for seducing us’?
For men who say blame the women for seducing us, I will say it's their ego speaking. A normal man with good moral will flee when faced with temptation. The Bible even says ‘resist the devil and he will flee from you’. It's always so easy to put the blame on someone else other than yourself. Temptation comes in various forms beside seduction, so my question to such men is this:  do they fall for all forms of temptations that come to them such as to steal, kill, etc? If they can resist the urge to steal or kill what stops them from resisting rape? I think in the case of rape it's just an easy excuse to massage their ego.

What is the weakest link in Nigeria’s fight against sexual abuse and rape?
The weakest link in Nigeria's fight against sexual abuse and Rape is that the government is not true to their words about the fight against rape in the society and the people turn blind eyes to the cases of rape. They pretend it does not exist. The society plays an important role too, they people are always too quick to castigate the female victim hence stigmatization. People refrain from being identified as a victim of rape so they will rather sweep it under the carpet and suffer the emotion turmoil alone and this feeling is very dangerous as it can only bring out negativity from its victims. I believe the government and the people should create conducive environment where cases of rape are treated seriously and people can come out freely to report cases of rape. By so doing the victims of rape will be able to release the negative energy and move on with their lives.

Would you endorse dead penalty for rapists?
I will never endorse death penalty for Rapist. Rather an emotional punishment as that which was dished to its victim. Maybe have a horse forcefully ‘take on’ any man found guilty of rape so they can understand how and what dignity means and represents.

How do you give yourself a pat on the back after a successful interpretation of a movie script?
Well whenever I finish a job, I hold my breath and wait for the editing to be completed and then the producers/directors appraisal of the job. When they give their verdict then I can exhale and find a good way to cheer myself up depending on which way it goes. It's actually a long process so in order words I let the viewers and audience to watch and be satisfied with the work done. Ultimately, it's about satisfying them; so if they are happy that's a good pat on my back.

Outside movie set, how do you connect with your fans?
Outside the movie set I connect with my fans via Facebook, twitter etc. Sometimes I meet them in places and I am always very cordial to them. I love my fans because they make me.

1 comment:

  1. You are going places dear. Love your work and wish you the very best. Keep doing your thing...

    ReplyDelete