Sunday 2 February 2014

Rare letter to Jonathan reveals: House of Rep Member Knelt Down, Begged A'Ibom Dep' Gov for PDP Ticket





7th January 2011

His Excellency

Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces

Federal Republic of Nigeria

Aso Rock Villa

Abuja                            

 

Sir,

PDP NATIONAL ASSEMBLY PRIMARIES ELECTION:

EXPRESSION OF CONCERN FOR MY PERSONAL SAFETY AND REQUEST FOR JUSTICE

 After a 21 day ordeal in prison over trumped up murder charges (which spanned from 1st January - 21st January, 2010) I was finally released sequel to the apprehension of the actual culprits in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital by the Nigerian Police Force. This unfortunate turn of events effectively prevented me from participating in the National Assembly Primaries of the PDP held at the premises of Eket township stadium, Eket on the 7th of January, 2011.

2. Upon my release, I considered it appropriate to meet with my state governor, His Excellency Obong (Dr.) Godswill Akpabio. However, my calls and text messages were not responded to. I therefore had to resort to the option of reaching His Excellency, through his wife, Her Excellency, Obongawan Ekaete Unoama Akpabio. Subsequently, I secured an appointment and met with His Excellency on 25th January 2011 at the governors’ lodge at about 2:30pm.

As I was ushered into the presence of His Excellency, the first statement he made was to ask if I was aware that he actually told the President and his fellow Governors that I was responsible for the death of the deceased House of Assembly aspirant, Dr. Joseph Akpanokpudo. This, he said he did, because of my position in the National Assembly.

3. I informed the governor that all the stories he had heard about my alleged complicity in the murder of the late Dr. Joseph Akpanokpudo were all politically motivated fabrications and had no basis whatsoever, in truth. I made it clear that as a Christian and a ranking member of the National Assembly, I have never and will not ever resort to the commission of a crime for any material reason whatsoever.
I proceeded to further   intimate the governor about an incident that occurred on the 1st of January 2011, before I was detained by the Nigerian Police Force. One of my supporters, Mr Emem Udoinyang had called and told me that Obong Nsima Ekere (a PDP stalwart in my constituency and presently the Chairman of Akwa Ibom Investment and Industrial Promotion Council, AKIIPOC) wanted him to come on board his political train to which I responded that he should count himself out of my own group of supporters if that was his preferred decision. Soon afterwards, Emem Udoinyang called me and narrated how Nsima Ekere had perfected plans to implicate me over the death of Dr. Joe Akpanokpudo. I therefore asked him to hang around and obtain more details about this sinister plan.

The Governor responded by expressing sympathy over my ordeal but asked me, how I would make peace with Obong Nsima Ekere as this had become necessary at that point in time.

4. His Excellency further, stated that going by the trend of events, he now believes I am very close to God, seeing that God had answered my prayers by ensuring that the actual killers were rounded-up by the police, in good time. However, he added the caveat that: “the Nigerian Police is yet to arrest the man that pulled the trigger – nicknamed ‘big boy’ and I hope ‘big boy’ will not implicate you when he is finally arrested.”    He added that the arrest was not meant for Hon. Ekong Sampson (one of those arrested over the alleged murder) and expressed the view that the Nigerian Police did not do a ‘good job’ over the matter.

These assertions made by the governor were very suprising given their import and in the light of the fact that the Akwa Ibom State Commissioner of Police had earlier paraded all the murderers of Dr. Joseph Akpanokpudo (who had made full confessional statements) before the public and did not make any statement to suggest that any of them was at large.
5. Shortly afterwards, Nsima Ekere came into the room accompanied by the governors brother  Emem Akpabio, the Secretary to State Government, Obong Umanah Umanah and the Deputy Whip of the State House of Assembly. Immediately, the governor asked Nsima Ekere: “Nsima, who is Emem Udoinyang”? To which Nsima replied: “the last son of Chief Dennis Udoinyang.”

The governor followed up with the question: “Nsima, how do we make peace between you and Bernard? (i.e. myself). He then asked that we both hug ourselves as a mark of peace. I responded by standing up and kneeling before Nsima Ekere who lifted me up and said we should have an appointment in his house that day, by 9pm.
As agreed, I went to his house by 9pm that same day and was accompanied by Barr. Ini Ekpo and Mrs Ubong Patrick.

Right there and then, Nsima Ekere began to attack Barr. Ini Ekpo for writing petitions against him. He accused me of joining forces with the Deputy Governor Eng. Patrick Ekpotu to fight against him. He equally stated, that I had not given him anything since I went to the national assembly. This accusation was oblivious of the fact that I had given him N1m sometime ago when I visited and he complained of not having any cash at hand. His third grouse was that of all the cars I had given out, I had not given him any – though I had given to two of his kinsmen. Obviously, he wanted a choice car to himself.
Thereafter, we discussed the issue of my nomination. He asked if the peace meeting was for the purpose of reclaiming my mandate. I responded in the affirmative and he said we would discuss the matter with the governor the next day.

6. Interestingly, he went on to admit that I actually won the nomination but that my absence was responsible for my deprivation. Those who were witness to these confessions were: Pastor (Udo Archibong - his boy/agent for his preferred candidate, Dr Akpan Micah Umoh), Mrs Ubong Patrick and my lawyer, Barr. Ini Ekpo. He added further that he had spent N60m and was prepared to spend more for his candidate. Dr. Akpan Micah Umoh.
I asked if I should refund the money since it is agreed that I actually won the election, while in prison confinement.  He declined my offer and the meeting ended with an agreement to meet the next day Wednesday, 26th January2011 by 10am.

7. After several calls the next day, he finally responded and we agreed to meet at the governors lodge. We discussed the matter of my nomination and he gave the impression that he would allow justice to prevail by conceding the ticket to me. I remained in the lodge for 5 hours and when the governor finally appeared, he asked that we travel together to Abuja in a private jet. On arrival, we proceeded to the headquarters of the PDP and later on to the governors lodge at Asokoro.
Having received the INEC form for all aspirants to the State and National Assembly he proceeded to issue them out to individual candidates.
When I stood up to receive mine, he asked me to hold on as my case had a ‘K Leg’. I therefore waited until the end of the meeting whereupon he asked me to come back the next day, Thursday, 27th January, 2011 by 11am alongside his new running mate, Obong Nsima Ekere.

8. For the purpose of clarity, it must be noted that all evidence on ground bear credence to the fact that I actually won the PDP nomination for Ikot Abasi/Mkpat Enin/Eastern Obolo Federal Constituency.
The attempt to deprive me of justice has however been facilitated by a range of factors including my illegal detention and the activities of my political opponents.

This point is clearly buttressed by the fact that after the initial count each of the 3 leading candidates scored as follows:

Bernard Udoh                -        173 Votes

Francis Uduyok             -        167 Votes

Akpan Micah Umah      -        163 Votes

In order to arrive at a predetermined goal, 28 of my votes were voided under the pretext that my name was not properly spelt by some of the delegates. Therefore, I was claimed to have scored 145 votes.
Cognizance must equally be taken of the fact that 40 of my valid votes discovered in the Senate ballot box (which would have given me a total of 213 votes) were not credited to me though votes belonging to Dr. Akpan Micah Umoh  from the Senate box were duly credited to him - therefore giving him a total of 172 votes.

It is important to note that at the venue of the nomination exercise, Francis Uduyok was in the full glare of PDP delegates and INEC staff declared the duly nominated candidate – but by the next day – 8th January, 2011 after a session of ‘vote voiding’ Dr. Akpan Micah Umoh was declared winner by the PDP panel as carried over the state media.
9. On Thursday, 27th January 2011 at about 1pm, the Special Adviser (S.A)to the Governor called my GSM line and informed me that His Excellency wanted to speak with me. I picked the call and the Governor asked: “Bernard, if I give you back your ticket will you deliver your constituency to me? I responded: “Your Excellency my constituency has always been there for you. I have no doubt that you and the President will win massively”

I proceeded to inform him that I had just returned from the office of the Legal Adviser to the PDP in relation to the issue of reclaiming my mandate. He asked me not to bother that he would place the facts of the matter before the Legal Adviser himself since it was clear, I actually won the primaries. I agreed at the end of the conversation to join His Excellency in his chattered plane the next morning.
10. The next morning by 9:50am, I departed from my house to the Governors Lodge at Asokoro and waited till about 5pm.  When he finally came down from his suite, he stated that some members of the National Assembly from Akwa Ibom State had written petitions to the SSS against him. Consequently, we departed to the SSS and departed after about an hour to the International Wing of the Abuja Airport. At the airport, the governor asked if I would come to Uyo with him and if there would be a re-run of the House of Representatives primaries in my constituency the next day.
I was confounded by this question and had to ask the Secretary to the State Government (SSG) if he had heard the question the governor had just asked me. The SSG requested that I exercise more patience and speak further with the governor about the matter.

11. On arrival at the Uyo International Airport, I followed His Excellency to the Governor’s lodge and inquired why he had asked me those questions. His response was “Bernard let me call my Deputy governor designate and tell him to ask (Micah Umoh) to concede the ticket to you while we find something else for him.  Meet me tomorrow by 9am.”

12. Soon after my departure from the lodge, the governor summoned his Special Adviser on Political and Legislative Affairs, Barrister Jerry Akpan and asked him to assemble some selected elders from any LGA. The Special Adviser (whom I had defeated in the PDP nomination for the House of Representatives in 2003) decided in his ‘wisdom’ to assemble men whom I had at one time or other defeated in my political career who were therefore, antagonistic in their dispositions towards me. These included: Elder Joe Udobia(1999), Martins Udoinyang (2003-2007); Obong Nsima Ekere (2003 PDP primaries and the general elections after he had crossed over to the ANPP) and Chief Ricahrd Umoren (who has been a long standing political adversary). Such men formed the bulk of elders assembled to decide my fate. After the Governor had asked for their opinion, I am reliably informed that they stated they were not in the position to decide my fate and that the decision was best left in his hands as the state Chief executive.
13. When I was ushered in to see the governor after their meeting, the Governor stated: “Bernard, I know they will tell you everything that was discussed here but we will meet at Abuja as the party will take the final decision on Monday (31st January 2011).

14. I must state here clearly, that since the days before his election as governor up till the present moment, I have been totally loyal to the person and the administration of Obong(DR) Godswill Akpabio. To this extent, I have unreservedly expended time, energy and limited personal resources to defend his administration as well as campaign for his re-election bid in 2011.
15. It should be noted that since the advent of the 4th Republic in 1999, zoning had never been an issue in our federal constituency as the most accepted candidate has always held sway in defference to the electorate .This explains why Senator UdomaUdo Udoma (from Ikot Abasi LGA) served as Senator from 1999-2007 and the present deputy governor (from Ikot Abasi LGA) has served from 2007 till date. If the issue is about zoning the House of Representatives seat from Mkpat Enin to Ikot Abasi therefore, it is paradoxical that His Excellency has decided to give the positions of Deputy Governor and House of Representatives slot to one Local Government Area (Ikot Abasi) in a constituency made up of 3 LGAs.

16. Though I have appealed to His Excellency to reconsider my case in the light of my clear victory during the primaries, the lopsided distribution of political offices in my Federal Constituency and the obvious injustices mete out against me during my 21 days ordeal in police Prison/custody for a crime I know nothing about, His Excellency apparently prefers the status quo. The obvious reason is inclusive of the fact that the Deputy Governor designate is uncomfortable with the exponential increase of my popularity with the electorate and considers me a serious threat to his governorship ambition in 2015.
This is the main reason I was roped into the murder case, regardless of my apparent innocence. Going by the trend of political activates in my state, I have no doubt whatsoever, that the security of my person and family is under serious threat.

In the light of the foregoing, I would therefore crave your kind intervention to stave off a case of possible frame-up against me over the death of Dr. Joseph Akpanokpudo and to facilitate the dispensation of justice given the fact of my clear victory during the last PDP nomination exercise.
Thank you, in anticipation while accepting the assurance of my esteemed considerations.

Yours sincerely,

 Rt. Hon. Bernard Ambrose Udoh

Member,Representing Ikot Abasi/Mkpat Enin/Eastern Obolo Federal Constituency

Cc:

 

Senate President
National Assembly
3 Arms zone Abuja.

The Speaker
House of Representatives
National Assembly

Abuja.

 

The Executive Governor
Akwa Ibom State.

 

The (Agt) National Chairman
Peoples Democratic Party(PDP)
Wadata Plaza, Zone 5
Abuja.

 

The National Security Adviser
Aso Rock Villa

Abuja.

 

The Inspector General of Police
Force Headquarters

Abuja

 

No comments:

Post a Comment